The IoT Learning Box is the ideal solution for university students, providing state-of-the-art, hands-on incorporation of IoT technology in an educational setting. It supports a lot of features which enables researchers and students to explore different aspects and develop different applications in IoT field. The most popular protocols used for the realization of IoT are MQTT, COAP, and HTTP. Sensors used with IoT Learning Box are the building blocks of the system which can collect values of different parameters. On-Board Micro-Controller ESP32 transmits information to Thingsboard open-source IoT Platform. Thingsboard will make the values of collected parameters available over the internet so that they are globally accessible.
Benefits to User
The kit is primarily for following users:
- Students learning about Engineering at a technological University e.g., introductory first-year engineering courses and disciplines like Mechatronics, Electronics, Computer, Instrumentation, Control & Automation can learn about the Internet of Things (IoT) and implement that learning in further research and project development.
- Professors teaching graduate and postgraduate engineering courses who want practical resources to explain and demonstrate Internet of Things (IoT) concepts in both lab and classroom environment can utilize IoT Learning Box and make the students understand well.
- Makers with an interest or background in engineering, either professionally or as a hobbyist can interface multiple sensors to collect data and perform efficient processes using IoT Learning Box thus saving time and money.
- Users can also learn wireless machine to machine communication, automation, and control, precise and timely outputs, data monitoring, etc.
- We can use IoT Learning Box for various mini and major projects as it is having 36 i/o pins. One can easily add other components or modules to it.
- Works on Standard 230V AC Power Outlet.
- Easily accessible hinged door box that is rust-free, splash proof and shockproof.
- Uses Thingsboard open-source IoT Platform for data collection, processing, visualization, and device management.
- Built-in WIFI and Bluetooth Connectivity.
- It uses the industry-standard IoT protocol – MQTT for device Connectivity.
- IoT Learning box consumes ultra-low power for its functioning.
- We can also use IoT Learning Box for Commercial Use.
- In addition to the state-of-the-art, high-quality hardware provided, after registering online, students will have access to a dedicated e-learning platform and other learning materials.
- 3 AC & 3 DC Output Relay Channels (for AC/DC Loads)
- Micro-controller: ESP32
- Protocol Used: MQTT (IoT Protocol)
- Input Power Supply: 230V 6A AC
- Output Pins: 8
- Input Pins: 7 (3.3V)
- WIFI (802.11 b/g/n)
- Bluetooth (v4.2 BR/EDR and BLE)
- Display : 0.96” OLED Display
- Programming Interface: Arduino IDE
- DC Motor
- Standard Interfaces :
- Heart rate sensor
- Dust sensor
- Gas sensor
- Temperature sensor
- Servo Motors etc.
- Standard Cable Glands:
- Input: 2 – PG7
- Output: 2 – PG7
- Sensor Modules :
- Patient Monitoring Module :
- Pulse Oximeter Heart rate sensor
- Temperature sensor
- Air Pollution Monitoring Module:
- Dust sensor
- Air Quality sensor
- Carbon Monoxide sensor
- IR Sensor Module
- Humidity and Temperature Sensor Module
- Patient Monitoring Module :
Learning objectives include, but are not limited to the following:
- Connect ThingsBoard IoT platform to the ESP32 Micro-Controller, for reading data from connected sensors and actuating peripheral devices.
- Learn to use Thingsboard open-source IoT Platform for data logging, processing, visualization, and device management.
- Interfacing ESP32 Microcontroller to analyze and visualize data from Arduino IDE
- Study behavior and dynamics of wireless sensor networking
- MicroController ESP32 Programming using Embedded C language
- Exchange of data between publisher and subscriber through MQTT Protocol
IoT Learning Box Exclusive Experiments :
- Home Automation: Home Automation is the project based on IoT to remotely control and program the appliances in your home. It can be useful in detecting and avoiding thefts.
- Patient Monitoring System: Patient Monitoring system identifies health problems. The patterns of heart rate, pulse, digestive system, and blood pressure can be monitored and diagnosed for anomalies. The information can be sent to the doctor for analysis. This system will be very useful to senior citizens and disabled people who live independently.
- Air Pollution Monitoring System: This experiment detects Air pollution. We can monitor the emissions from factories and vehicles to minimize air pollution.
AICTE Approved Experiments
All the experiments suggested by AICTE in IoT Syllabus can be performed using IoT Learning Box.
- Familiarization with Arduino and perform necessary software installation.
- To interface LED with Arduino and write a program to turn ON LED for 1 sec after every 2 seconds.
- To interface Digital sensor (IR) with Arduino and write a program to turn ON LED when the push button is pressed or a sensor detection.
- To interface the DHT11 sensor with Arduino and write a program to print temperature and humidity readings.
- To interface motor using relay with Arduino and write a program to turn ON motor when push button is pressed.
- To interface OLED with Arduino and write a program to print temperature and humidity readings on it.
- To interface Bluetooth with Arduino and write a program to send sensor data to smartphone using Bluetooth.
- To interface Bluetooth with Arduino and write a program to turn LED ON/OFF when ‘1’/’0’ is received from smartphone using Bluetooth.
- Write a program on Arduino to upload temperature and humidity data to thingsboard cloud.
- Write a program on Arduino to retrieve temperature and humidity data from thingsboard cloud.
- To install the MySQL database on Raspberry Pi and perform basic SQL queries.
- Write a program on Arduino to publish temperature data to MQTT broker.
- Write a program on Arduino to subscribe to MQTT broker for temperature data and print it.
- Write a program to create TCP server on Arduino and respond with humidity data to TCP client when requested.
- Write a program to create a UDP server on Arduino and respond with humidity data to UDP client when requested.