Miniature Industrial Production System (MIPS)
The Miniature Industrial Production System (MIPS) enables the trainees & trainers to acquire a thorough knowledge in the field of Robotics & Automation starting from basic theoretical concepts to advanced applications. A combination of all the technologies used in the lab, the MIPS is a complete platform to learn about industrial automation. It includes a combination of various sensors, motors, pneumatic components, linear actuators, microcontrollers & PLC, etc. to build a miniature manufacturing unit that performs a specific task.
- Dispensing Station
- Stacking Magazine Module
- Linear Transfer Module
- Material Handling
- Lifting Module
- Slide Module
- Processing station
- Indexing Module
- Drilling Module
- Sensing Module
- Robotic Manipulator Station
- Robotic Manipulator Module
- Sorting and Storage
- Conveyor Module
- Sorting Module
- Storage Module
The basic function of this station is to load the workpieces in the stacking magazine. The dispensed workpieces are then transferred to the next station with the help of a linear transfer module. It consists of following modules:
- Stacking Magazine Module: This module separates workpieces from a magazine.
- Linear Transfer Module: The linear transfer module uses a series of linear pneumatic actuators to load the workpieces in the material handling station.
Material Handling Station
This station demonstrates material handling technologies with maximum industrial relevance. It handles the workpieces coming from the dispensing station & delivers them to the processing station. It consists of following modules:
- Lifting Module: It transfers the work piece from dispensing station to processing station.
- Slide Module: Work pieces coming from lifting module is transferred to the slide using a pneumatic pusher cylinder.
On the Rotary Indexing Table, the workpieces are tested, drilled based on metal sensing and colour sensed and later sent to Robotic Manipulator Section to transfer the workpieces to sorting and storage station. It consists of following modules:
- Indexing Module: The indexing mechanism gives intermittent rotary motion to the indexing plate on which 4 work pieces can be positioned.
- Drilling Module: Comprises a drilling machine attached to a linear axis driven by a high torque metal geared DC motor.
- Sensing Module: A colour sensor senses the colour of the work piece & sends the data to the controller.
Robotic Manipulator Station
The basic purpose of this station is to demonstrate the integration of industrial robot in a production line. It consists of following modules:
- Robotic Manipulator Module: Comprises a 4 DOF Miniature Articulated Industrial Robotic Arm which picks the workpieces from robotic manipulator spot & transfers them to the conveyor system for sorting.
Sorting and Storage Station
At this station, the finished workpieces are sorted on the basis of material in two groups – metallic & plastic. In each group, the workpieces are subdivided according to their colour. At the end, the workpieces are stored in separate crates for storing. It consists of following modules:
- Conveyor Module: Transports workpieces placed on the conveyor towards the Storing Module.
- Separator Module: A rail and carriage operated rack and pinion driven pushing device with position feedback places the workpieces in the crate.
- Storing Module: Depending upon the material & the colour of the workpieces, stores them in 7 separate crates.