As teachers, we’re well aware that STEM education is essential in preparing students for today’s world of non-stop innovation. In my 13 years of teaching I’ve seen many curriculum fads come and go, but the use of robotics in the classroom has proven to be a consistent and surefire way to teach students the STEM skills needed to prepare them for the future job market. I’ve seen firsthand how it teaches students 21st-century skills including coding, engineering and the scientific method in a fun and engaging way. However, there are so many other incredible things that I’ve watched my students learn in addition to STEM curriculum. Here are the top five unexpected benefits I’ve seen in students who use robotics in the classroom:
1. Robotics can be a launching pad for students to realize their passions.
2. A strong robotics curriculum can create leaders.
3. Robotics can teach students how to communicate across different technology platforms.
4. Robotics can lead to community involvement.
5. Robotics teaches essential teamwork skills.